Sunday, December 12, 2010

Putting the Pedal to the Medal (Figuratively)

This past weekend was a big event for our choir department. Every year, we throw this holiday concert where local middle and elementary schools can come sing, dance, and be cute. The show choirs are expected to perform at least one of their numbers for the concert, so I needed to go (I probably would have gone anyway just to see some little munchkins). Here is the thing you need to understand: show choir is like learning how to drive. You practice your driving for hours and hours at a time. Your driver's education teacher yells at you because, "You totally just ran that stop sign and did a wheelie off the railroad tracks!" Sometimes, you actually have to study things. There are rule books about show coir just like there are rules about driving. Finally, once you have mastered the act of driving in a straight line and using turn signals, you go to the DOT. You wait for a long time. You wait and you wonder, "What if I forget everything I have learned? What's an engine?!" But then, when they call your number, you walk proudly up to the table state your name, sign some papers, prove to them you know what you are doing, and get your liscense (I'm pretty sure there's some sort of metaphor about show choir in there)!

Anyway, my point is that show choir takes a lot of work and help. It would be very difficult to take up driving by yourself. An instructor or a parent is necessary. I had no idea that turn signals were even used until my dad told me. Our director had gotten some minor surgery before the concert, so we did not get to practice with him when we ran through the number in costume and with the band. We used our best judgment as to whether or not something was working, but it still felt like we were missing something. Still, our performance was fine, I thought, and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. My nervousness for the number may also have been because I didn’t know quite a few of the words and my underwear kept bunching up. You know what, never mind. I’m pretty sure that it was just the underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment