Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ho! Ho! Hizzah!

Christmas is amazing. It is the season where you can pointlessly buy things that you would never buy for yourself and give them to other people as gifts. Also, it is the one time that I can shove as many marshmallows as i want into my hot cocoa without anyone sarcastically saying, "Wow. I didn't know that many marshmallows could fit in one mug." The main point of Christmas, though, is my first point: giving.

When, i am working, it is easy to put customers into certain categories based on the amount of friendliness they show. There are customers who are not nice. The only thing that these customers will say to you is, "Weren't you going to ask me if I had any coupons? Because i did. Guess I can't use them anymore." Then, there are the moderately nice customers who ask you how you are doing and might engage in friendly conversation, if provoked. Finally, there are the VERY nice people. You don't even need to say anything and they are already telling you about the barbeque they had last weekend and the big, fancy pot roast they are cookin' tonight!

So, the other day, this woman comes through my line. I would label her a moderately nice person who did not seem that interested in conversation, but looked pleasant. I scanned through all of her groceries and she slid her card to pay for them. Almost instantly, after the transaction had gone through, the man behind me realized that I had scanned his groceries, as well. It was too late to save the price from being put on the woman's card. I told them there was no way that I could take the purchase off of her card and the woman said, "It's alright. I will just pay for it. Merry Christmas." At that point, my heart must have grown three sizes larger because I almost let out a huge Christmas sigh. The man said, "I will just pay you in cash." Still, it was the thought that counted. That is what the Christmas season is all about: allowing people who are only moderately pleasant to overshadow those that are VERY nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment