Monday, April 4, 2011

How to Succeed at Hogwarts Without Using Unforgivable Curses

I saw him. I was so close to him that had he spit in an upwards direction and there had been a good, solid wind, his loogie would have hit me in the face. He was everything I had ever dreamed of. He was epic. He was magical. He was...short. He was HARRY POTTER. I can feel the jealousy of anyone who reads this seeping through the blog. I would be jealous, too, had it been someone other than myself. What is strange is that I didn't run into him at Hogwarts, or spy him at Diagon Alley, or even catch the same train at Platform 9.75, instead, I saw him in a Broadway musical. Harry Potter was playing Daniel Radcliffe playing J. Pierrepont Finch in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."

The trip to New York was a part of our school's choir program, so we had to go see a Broadway musical. One word got out that Harry Potter was performing, the tickets were booked. I waited anxiously outside. Next to his big, shiny face on all of the posters, i got plenty of pictures taken. We had great seats on the second balcony which only made the anticipation that much greater. The first sighting of His Greatness came when he was lowered down from the ceiling in the opening number. He was there!! The screams were obnoxiously loud and I wanted so badly to just jump out off the balcony and steal him, but i knew that without my Firebolt it was suicide.

The musical was great. Harry Potter, though he didn't have the greatest voice, acted the piece beautifully and was hilarious. The most impressive part, to me, was the company. Their dancing was spot on and whenever singing was required, they always sounded full and supported. Still, most of the time I found it difficult to unglue my eyes from the tiny, little magic man on stage. Dumbledore would have been so proud if he could have seen this moment.

The most disappointing part came once the show was over. The standing ovation had died down and people had begun to pile out into the streets. Outside, a van had been blocked off and everyone knew it was Harry Potter's. We waited patiently on the other side of the street and refused to leave until a glimpse of the Boy Wonder was achieved. Eventually, a bus pulled up and parked itself firmly in our way. Despite our loud chants of, "Move that bus!" it didn't move for quite some time. We had to leave. Our efforts were noble and courageous, but unfortunately no one got to meet him. Still, I will always remember that day as the day I saw the greatest boy-wizard of all-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment