Sunday, October 3, 2010

Do-Nut Get Me Angry

I would like to talk about making payment...to me. Today, while I was working at Freddy's, some guy came up to me and bought a couple donuts that added up to about two dollars and fifty cents. The man digs through his wallet and I see that he has two one dollar bills and a bunch of change (I'm talking wealthy homeless person change), so I get ready to take his money. He hands me a fifty. I must have looked at that bill for twenty seconds. Why was he using a fifty? I did not understand why he didn't just sift through his change and give that to me! In an attempt to get him to reopen his wallet, I explained to him that fifties needed to be checked by a manager and that we would have to wait for them to get there. "Alright," he said.

So, I called the manager. Unfortunately, at that moment, he was busy with another cashier which meant we would have to wait. I do not know if you have ever had to experience the awkwardness of waiting to see if your fifty is counterfeit, but it is not fun. It's like waiting at the dentist or in the bathroom stall until someone leaves. I tried making polite conversation by saying, "So, is it still nice outside?" He said, "Yes." So much for that idea.

Here's the thing that really annoys me: when the manager took his sweet little time getting over to my register, the customer got mad at me. "I don't understand why you can't just check it yourself! What is taking so long? I am not coming back here!"..........Here is what I would have said:
            "Oh, wow, I am really sorry that it is taking so long to get this fifty checked. You know, the fifty you used to pay for THREE donuts? Maybe you should have just gotten one donut and paid with a hundred! That way your shopping experience would be even worse! Because that's all I care about RIGHT?! Making you miserable!! 'Cause that seems to be all you care about doing to ME!!! Here!!! Take you stupid donuts!! I'll pay for them myself!! With EXACT CHANGE!!!!"
          Here's what I said: "I'm sorry, sir." And the awkward silence continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment