Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cold Stone's Newest Creation: Funeral Cake Remix

Don't jump to conclusions. I remember when I was getting checker trained at Freddy's, the lady who was teaching us (we will call her Monica) told us a story about back when she was a cashier. She was around 25 years old and a man and his son came through the line. They put their groceries on the line and waited for Monica to scan them. Halfway through the line was a cake. She scanned it and then asked, "Oh! Whose birthday is it?" The man gently smiled and said, "It's actually for my wife's funeral."

Woah. Well.....now I am afraid to ask about cakes. Today, I had someone come through my line and they had a cake that said: "Happy Birthday, Jimmy!" The parents were buying candy/ party favors, looked very happy, and even called one of their kids Jimmy, but I still avoided asking about the cake. What if they had said something like, "Jimmy passed away several months ago, but we still like to believe he's here."? How bad would I have felt then??

It's gotten to the point where I do not ask about certain objects because I associate them with different situations. Streamers: funeral. Candy: funeral. Big balloon that says "Congratulations, Scott!": funeral. It's getting to be unhealthy. On the other hand, though, I do associate some things with positive situations. Ice cream: Cold Stone. Peanut butter: Cold Stone. Canned asparagus: Cold Stone. I guess that is kind of unhealthy also....

The lesson of not jumping to conclusions applies not only to cakes (surprisingly), but also to real life! You see a man walking down a street at night with dark sunglasses and a cane that he keeps sticking out in front of him, don't assume he is blind. If your mother doesn't hear you say that you refuse to clean your room, don't assume that she is deaf (she might also be crazy). I wish that I had examples that did not apply to disabilities, but they seem to be evading me at the current moment.

Don't judge a book by its cover. Open the book and read the inside cover. Then, if it's a really long description move to the back, inside cover. If the book is paperback, probably just look on the back cover and you might find something. Open up to a page. Read the page. Don't open up to a page at the end of the book, though; it might give away the ending. Try reading the first page to see what kind of vibe the-. Actually, that's too much work. Who needs books anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment