Sunday, September 26, 2010

Would You Like Patience With That?

Friday, at Freddy's, I was working as something I had never been before. Normally, I am but a lowly cashier, but, today, I was something of a much higher importance: a stocker (not stalker, although I am quite good at that, too...no training necessary!). So, that day, I arrived at work and I went to the back of the store to report for duty. Once I had located a manager he told me what I was supposed to do and to come find him when I was done.

Being a naturally gifted quick learner, I got done pretty quickly with my first assignment. So, I did as my manager had said and went to go find him. Well, when I tracked him down, he seemed annoyed at the fact that I was asking questions about what I was supposed to be doing next. He quickly explained a job I was expected to do and rushed off to somewhere else. After that, I was left with a confused expression and a box full of Jell-O I had no idea what to do with.

This whole story brings me to my complaint: why do some people have to be so impatient? I had no idea what I was doing, it was my first day on the job, and this guy couldn't take four minutes to explain it to me? I ended up asking another manager what I was supposed to do with my Jell-O. He said, "Make Jell-O shots! Just kidding, stack them over here."

This incident reminds me of another story that involves my own family. When we were younger, my sister, my dad, and I would always go on bike rides together. One time we took a trip to McDonalds so that we could get breakfast. When we got there, we went inside, ordered, and waited for our food to be ready. Well, the McDonalds staff was (surprisingly) not on top of their game. They spent so much time focusing on their drive thru orders that we, the ones actually eating in their restaurant, were being ignored. So, my dad verbally abused them. He opened up a huge can of verbal destruction on that crew. I've never seen so many grown men crying. Eventually, we got our food and rode our bikes back in awkward silence.

Should my dad have gotten that upset? I am sure that, had we waited an extra two minutes, our food would have been ready, but did they need to learn some sort of lesson? I don't think so. I know how that sad, little McDonalds staff felt when my father unleashed his wrath of fury on them because it reminds me of my story. It is like I was serving the hash browns and the manager could not wait his turn. Well, guess what, Mr. Manager, I am my father's son and you better be prepared for a whole lot of destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment